Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Starting the Business

If you had asked me six months ago where I would be in my life today, it would definitely not be here.

Six months ago I hadn't withdrawn from school, I had just been initiated into a wonderful sorority, and I had just changed my major (again) to History. Things were looking up, I thought for sure that this time around I knew what I wanted out of life and that I had a clear path to get there. But as they say, if you want to make God laugh tell him your plans. Needless to say, I am not on that path anymore. I am instead on a path that was seemingly so off-base that I never would have though it could happen. But it did. About four weeks ago my mother invited me to a Mary Kay party, and I'll admit I went just to support my mom, not because I was interested in Mary Kay. The night of the party arrived and surprisingly I had a blast! The skin care class was eye-opening and the fellowship with the other ladies there was more fun than I could have imagined. By the end of the night I wanted EVERYTHING. But I couldn't begin to afford it, so I did what any sensible young 20-something would do. Beg mom. I was able to come out of that night with some of the products I wanted, but it left me wanting to know more, see more, and above all else, try more.

At the second appointment Angela, our wonderful consultant, asked me if I would be willing to listen to the business opportunity. I didn't have to think long before saying, "YES!" At the interview I listened attentively, but in my mind I kept thinking, 'Yeah, I could do that.' and before long that changed to 'Yes, I will do that.' Now as I am starting my second week as an Independent Beauty Consultant I don't think I could love it more. I am working on my Perfect and Power Start, which essentially means that I will do fifteen faces in fifteen days and then thirty faces in thirty days. I'll admit, I am scared out of my mind! But I'm also so excited, because I truly believe that this opportunity was brought to me for a reason. I hope that through Mary Kay I will be able to empower other women and above all else have a positive influence wherever I go.

For this blog I will be writing about my failures, my accomplishments, my spiritual journey, the Mary Kay products, beauty tutorials, and that's just the beginning. I hope that other consultants may read my blog and laugh, cry, and commiserate along with me and that others might see what the Mary Kay dream is really about.


No comments:

Post a Comment